PRE-POST TX INSTRUCTIONS FOR MODERATE CONSCIOUS SEDATION
A responsible adult, over 18 years of age must accompany the patient to the clinic and remain here throughout the entire procedure. Following the sedation, a responsible adult must escort the patient home, and a responsible adult should remain with the patient until fully awake.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors (persons under the age of 18 years of age).
Unless specifically directed otherwise, patients must adhere to the following instructions:
- No solid food for 8 hours before the start of the procedure.
- Clear liquids allowed until 2 hours before the start of the procedure. (water, coffee with no milk or creamer, apple juice, gatorade or cranberry juice)
- Take all medicines as normally scheduled unless specifically directed otherwise by the dentist (if in the last 2 hours, use a tiny sip of water as necessary). Diuretics and hypoglycemic agents are the only exceptions to this and they should NOT be taken the morning of the sedation appointment.
- Make every effort to minimize smoking for 12 hours before the start of the procedure.
- At least one fingernail needs to be available (without polish or artificial nail) the day of the procedure.
- Shoes should have low or flat heels.
- Drink plenty of water the day before your appointment and limit your caffeine and alcohol the day before your appointment.
For intravenous sedation, patients should wear clothing that is not restricting to the neck or arms. Patients should wear loose-fitting tops on which the sleeves can be rolled to the shoulder. An old t-shirt is ideal.
Following the sedation, patients should refrain from driving an automobile, drinking alcohol or engaging in any activity that requires alertness until at least the next day or until the patient is fully recovered from the effects of the sedation drugs. This time frame may vary from patient to patient. Do not take any medications for pain unless prescribed by Dr. Behrents.
You must not be left alone for the first 6 hours after sedation. Your escort will verify, with their signature, responsibility for staying with you. Please inform them.
**FAILURE TO FOLLOW ANY OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF THE SEDATION APPOINTMENT**
For any after-hours concerns or problems following sedation, please contact Dr. Behrents at 479-313-5419.